Welcome to Fifth-Grade Band at Woodland!
Band is an incredible opportunity to build brain cells, make new friends and experience the power of music! Students receive a weekly small-group lesson from September through mid-May and have a weekly "Big Band" rehearsals before school on Tuesdays from October through May.
Students begin learning their instrument during the summer at four different two-week beginning band sessions. Students have band lessons during the school day every week through May 14. The lesson times rotate each week to avoid students missing the same part of class.
5th Grade Band Dates 2019-20
"Big Band" Rehearsals
- Tuesday, Oct. 1, 8 a.m.: First Big Band Rehearsal. Please have your student arrive between 7:30 and 7:50 a.m. and enter through the Gym/SACC Door.
- We rehearse every Tuesday that school is in session until April 28.
- Tuesday, March 3rd - NO BAND REHEARSAL due to Primary Election in Gym
- Tuesday, April 28, 8 a.m. - Final Big Band Rehearsal
Email Dr. Becker if your student will be absent from rehearsal, Joshua.Becker@district196.org
- Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2:45 p.m. and 6:30 p.m., Woodland Gymnasium
- Please have your student arrive by 6:15 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 26, time TBD (late afternoon), 3rd Annual Eagan Band Festival, Eagan HS Gymnasium
- Featuring EHS Wind Ensemble, Jazz I; DHMS/BHMS 8th Grade Band; DW, GH, NV, PW and WL 5th Grade Bands
- THURSDAY, April 30, 2:45 p.m. and 7 p.m. (note the date and time change from December), Woodland Gymnasium
- Please have your student arrive by 6:45 p.m.
4th Grade Band Recruiting Timeline
- February: Join the Band packets sent home
- March 2nd: Last day to turn in Participation Form
- March: Students will meet with Dr. Becker to select an instrument
- After your student meets with Dr. Becker, you may make arrangements for an instrument and sign-up for one of our 4 beginner band sessions offered throughout the summer
- April 20: Last day to sign up for summer band at early bird price of $76
- May 20: Please arrange for an instrument by this date
- May 20: Last day to sign up for summer band
Get to know Woodland band teacher, Dr. Becker!
Dr. Becker loves teaching band at Woodland! Dr. Becker helps the Eastview Marching Band in the summer and fall, and teaches 6-12th-grade low brass students who attend Apple Valley High School and Eastview High Schools, and their feeder middle schools.
You can also find him directing the Prince of Peace Brass Choir in Burnsville and playing gigs all over the Twin Cities with a variety of different groups!
Dr. Becker lives in Rosemount with his wife, who also teaches band, and his new baby, Carla! Dr. Becker holds a doctorate of musical arts degree from the Eastman School of Music. He earned a master's degree from Rice University's Shepherd School of Music and a bachelor's degree in music education from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.